Skip to main content

Learning about GMO foods

Recently, I was talking with some other moms about kids and food when the topic of GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms) came up. These are foods that have been bio-engineered by taking DNA from one species and adding it to another unrelated species. This experimentation is most often done with the intent to create crops that withstand a specific pesticide, such as Round-up. The majority of U.S. grown corn, soy, cotton, canola and sugar beets have been genetically modified.

Since I have an interest in agriculture and food policy, I asked a friend who has researched this topic to help me better understand GMOs and why she is concerned about them. Shannon is a stay-at-home mom and a former teacher.
Shannon and her son Ronan
1. Why is the topic of GMOs important to you and your family?
Trying to eat mostly organic has been important to me for quite a while. Getting pregnant and having my son reinvigorated my desire to limit  our exposure to toxins, not just in food, but in many other aspects of our lives as well. Honestly, once I started reading a little about GMOs, they scared me. I really just want to keep my family as healthy and safe as possible.

2. What have you learned about GMOs that you think others should know?
They're everywhere! A large majority of foods on the market contain GMOs. These foods contain ingredients that have been altered genetically for a variety of reasons, including being more resistant to insects and pests. These genetic changes are performed to the plant DNA in a lab and this is not a process that occurs naturally. Most of the animal feed produced in the United States are GM grains. Therefore, most conventional meat and dairy products contain GMOs as well. However, organic crops can not be genetically modified.

3. How can we be certain that the foods we purchase are non-GMO?  
The only way I feel confidant is by purchasing organic foods. Even with USDA organic food a small percent of ingredients can be non-organic and, therefore, GMO contaminated. To be really certain you can look for products labeled 100% organic.

4. What are good sources for non-GMO foods?

We do not buy all organic foods, so I make sure the non-organic products we buy are non-GMO. There are some brands that have pledged to be non-GMO. I rely heavily on Trader Joe's brand for the few processed/packaged products we buy, such as crackers, as well as non-organic cheeses. There are a couple shopping guides online that list brands committed to being non-GMO. I find these very helpful.
Center for Food Safety: True Food Shopper's Guide
Institute for Responsible Technology: Non-GMO Shopping Guide
*These guides are also available as mobile apps for your smartphone.
5. What can we do about GMOs?
I sometimes feel pretty helpless especially after California's proposition 37 (mandatory GMO labeling) did not pass. Large corporations pored millions into ensuring it didn't. In Washington, we have I-522 that would require GMO labeling. It will go to the legislature and if it does not pass it will be on the ballot in November 2013. We can volunteer or donate to the campaign. We could also talk to our friends about the issue to ensure people are not getting swayed by misinformation. I also think how we spend our money speaks volumes. Don't buy foods that contain GMOs and encourage your friends to do the same.

Tomorrow, I will feature more information about I-522 and an interview with a local organic farm about GMO crops.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook

UPDATE (10/2/12): Unfortunately, I did not hear back from our original winner. Congratulations to our alternate winner for "The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook" -- Robin Pfefer. UPDATE (9/29/12): I am happy to announce that Kashia Clopper is the winner of "The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook". When I was first thinking about using the Baby-Led Weaning (BLW) model for Henry, I was unsure about whether it would really work. I was excited about BLW’s claims of less stressful meals that the whole family could share together. Plus, I was all for encouraging Henry to gain new skills by learning about the shapes, textures, colors, smells and flavors of food. This sounded ideal in theory, but would it work in practice? After some fun but ineffective attempts at letting Henry feed himself, I went in search of resources to learn more about BLW. I needed to learn how to prepare meals for our family in which Henry could participate. That’s when I found “ The Baby-Led

Do Your Kids Eat Everything?

UPDATE (3/15/2013): Congratulations to Kia as the random drawing winner in this giveaway! Thank you to all those who entered this contest.  Before we began our food adventure with Henry, Daddy and I had many conversations about how to encourage Henry to become “a good eater.” After watching other parents constantly struggle with their toddlers, we wanted to know if there was anything we could do from the start to prevent picky eating. That’s when we read “ French Kids Eat Everything ” by Karen Le Billon . The book is an easy and enjoyable read about the year that Karen’s family spent in France and how it changed the way her family eats. The heart of the book explores the 10 French Food Rules for raising happy, healthy eaters. “French Kids Eat Everything” sparked numerous discussions at our dinner table about how our family eats. We have become more conscious of our assumptions about food and how that will influence Henry’s understanding of mealtimes. In addition, the

What is I-522?

Yesterday, I interviewed a mom who is concerned about GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms). She explained that there is no way to know whether the food you purchase may include GMOs unless it is certified organic. In Washington state, Initiative 522 would require labeling for foods produced through genetic engineering.  Providing consumers with information about the foods they eat seems like common sense. However, I-522 has already been met with controversy especially from the state's wheat growers . I wanted to hear from a local farm, so I asked Dan Hulse from Tahoma Farms for his thoughts on GMOs and I-522. Henry loves finding his favorite foods in our weekly produce delivery from Terra Organics. In 2003, Dan and his wife Kim formed Terra Organics an organic produce delivery service. They have been small family farmers since 2004. In 2009, the couple purchased a 40-acre farm in Orting, WA known as Tahoma Farms. The farm and Terra Organics sell organic produce locally