Skip to main content

Equipment for feeding Henry

Using a baby-led weaning approach to let Henry feed himself has not required a large investment of products, but a few items are essential to make this endeavor successful. Here are some of my favorites:

High chair with tray
We have been very pleased with the Chicco 360 Degree Rotating Hook On Chair. It easily and securely attaches to the table without taking up any floor space. The compact size of the clip-on chair is convenient for our small dinette, going out to eat, or traveling. The rimmed tray keeps Henry’s food within easy reach, except for what he drops on the floor. The tray is also detachable so it’s easy to clean. I like the rotating seat feature. I can spin Henry around to face the kitchen and he enjoys watching me cook.

The clip-on high chair requires a sturdy table that does not have the potential for tipping over due to the added weight of a child. Alternatively, you could use a stand-alone high chair.
The tray on Henry's high chair keeps food within his reach and a bib catches the mess.
Bibs
I frequently forget to put a bib on Henry but I always regret it later. Like all kids his age, he is a messy eater. Bibs help to catch a good portion of the shrapnel. For juicy foods like fruit, I prefer cloth bibs. They help soak up the extra liquid. For drier foods, a plastic bib with a built-in pocket works well for catching crumbs.

Do check that all your bibs can be safely put in the washing machine or dish washer for cleaning. I am not sure why this is not a standard feature for bibs, but it definitely should be.

Splash mats
Henry routinely drops food on the floor. It is inevitable. I can’t stop it, but I can make cleaning up easier by putting down a splash mat under his high chair. I have seen pieces of fabric marketed as “splash mats” but you don’t really need something fancy. Depending on what is at-hand, I have used an outdoor tablecloth, large beach towel, or blanket. Again, be sure to check the cleaning instructions for your outdoor tablecloth; we had one that disintegrated in the washing machine.
Henry plays on his splash mat while I prepare a meal.
Sometimes while preparing a meal, I set Henry down on the floor to play on the splash mat. He gets to practice his rolling over skills with a little extra cushion. When our food is ready, I move him to his high chair and I don’t have to worry about what is landing on the floor. Once our meal is over, I just fold up the splash mat and toss it in the wash.

Kitchen towels
I’d recommend stocking up on absorbent dish towels (or paper towels) and keeping them in a convenient location. As I mentioned, Henry is a messy eater. Multiple towels are required for cleaning up. When Henry is finished eating, we wipe his hands and face with a towel. Then we give his hands a rinse at the kitchen sink and dry them with another towel. We also wipe down his high chair and the table.
Henry sits in his rotating high chair and watches me slice sweet potatoes with a food mandolin.
Food mandolin
A food mandolin is not essential for feeding your child, but it is convenient for getting started with baby-led weaning. I can quickly slice a large quantity of vegetables into chip shapes. This form is simple for Henry’s little hands to pick up and eat.

What are your must-have items for feeding your baby?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook

UPDATE (10/2/12): Unfortunately, I did not hear back from our original winner. Congratulations to our alternate winner for "The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook" -- Robin Pfefer. UPDATE (9/29/12): I am happy to announce that Kashia Clopper is the winner of "The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook". When I was first thinking about using the Baby-Led Weaning (BLW) model for Henry, I was unsure about whether it would really work. I was excited about BLW’s claims of less stressful meals that the whole family could share together. Plus, I was all for encouraging Henry to gain new skills by learning about the shapes, textures, colors, smells and flavors of food. This sounded ideal in theory, but would it work in practice? After some fun but ineffective attempts at letting Henry feed himself, I went in search of resources to learn more about BLW. I needed to learn how to prepare meals for our family in which Henry could participate. That’s when I found “ The Baby-Led

Do Your Kids Eat Everything?

UPDATE (3/15/2013): Congratulations to Kia as the random drawing winner in this giveaway! Thank you to all those who entered this contest.  Before we began our food adventure with Henry, Daddy and I had many conversations about how to encourage Henry to become “a good eater.” After watching other parents constantly struggle with their toddlers, we wanted to know if there was anything we could do from the start to prevent picky eating. That’s when we read “ French Kids Eat Everything ” by Karen Le Billon . The book is an easy and enjoyable read about the year that Karen’s family spent in France and how it changed the way her family eats. The heart of the book explores the 10 French Food Rules for raising happy, healthy eaters. “French Kids Eat Everything” sparked numerous discussions at our dinner table about how our family eats. We have become more conscious of our assumptions about food and how that will influence Henry’s understanding of mealtimes. In addition, the

What is I-522?

Yesterday, I interviewed a mom who is concerned about GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms). She explained that there is no way to know whether the food you purchase may include GMOs unless it is certified organic. In Washington state, Initiative 522 would require labeling for foods produced through genetic engineering.  Providing consumers with information about the foods they eat seems like common sense. However, I-522 has already been met with controversy especially from the state's wheat growers . I wanted to hear from a local farm, so I asked Dan Hulse from Tahoma Farms for his thoughts on GMOs and I-522. Henry loves finding his favorite foods in our weekly produce delivery from Terra Organics. In 2003, Dan and his wife Kim formed Terra Organics an organic produce delivery service. They have been small family farmers since 2004. In 2009, the couple purchased a 40-acre farm in Orting, WA known as Tahoma Farms. The farm and Terra Organics sell organic produce locally